Gareth Davies, Daily Mail, February 20, 2018
The number of victims of child sexual exploitation in Rotherham has grown to more than 1,500 victims and detectives have identified 110 ‘designated suspects’ in the scandal.
An initial figure of 1,400 sparked a national outrage, but the National Crime Agency (NCA) has now said at least a hundred more underage victims have been added to their list.
The NCA is conducting a huge investigation in the South Yorkshire town following the revelations in the 2014 Jay Report that children were groomed and abused there.
Professor’s Alexis Jay’s report sparked national soul-searching when it revealed that the large scale exploitation undertaken by gangs of largely Pakistani-heritage men had been effectively ignored by police and other agencies for more than a decade.
Eighty percent of the suspects are said to be Pakistani and 90 percent of the victims are white girls.
The number of victims of child sexual exploitation in Rotherham has grown to more than 1,500 victims and detectives have identified 110 ‘designated suspects’ in the scandal
On Tuesday, NCA senior investigating for Operation Stovewood officer Paul Williamson said his team’s analysis suggests there are 1,510 potential victims and survivors of CSE in the town between 1997 and 2013 — the same timescale as covered by the Jay Report.
Mr Williamson said his team was now actively engaged with more than 260 victims, had identified 110 ‘designated suspects’ and currently involves 144 officers working on 34 distinct investigations.
He said he is hoping to increase his team — which currently has a £6.9 million annual budget – to between 200 and 250 people.
‘We will not falter in our commitment as an agency to this task,’ Mr Wiliamson said.
‘The identification and bringing to justice of offenders is what what we’ll be judged on.’
Eighty percent of the suspects are said to be Pakistani and 90 percent of the victims are white girls. This woman says she was raped by an Asian gang in an alley not far from where she is sat
The officer said the ‘momentum and pace’ of the investigation is increasing, but warned that progress is necessarily slow as many victims are extremely vulnerable.
He said: ‘That momentum and pace will increase and that is commensurate with the resources that are put into the investigation.
‘I now have 144 which enables me to do a lot more than what I could do when I first started as SIO in January 2016.
‘Justice, we are now seeing, is being rendered. And I’ve got a very, very committed team which is pursuing a very, very, worthy mission.’
Mr Williamson described the mushrooming nature of his team’s task, detailing how one women spoken to by his officers recently talked about more than 30 named suspects, 17 other potential victims and 27 potential crime scenes.
The NCA launched operation Stovewood after it was called in by South Yorkshire Police three years ago, and is now the biggest investigation in CSE in the UK.
It is 85 percent funded by the Home Office and 15 percent by South Yorkshire Police, and has cost more than £10 million so far.
Asked ‘why Rotherham’, Mr Williamson agreed that there was combination in the town of a failure to listen to and believe victims, to safeguard them and to investigate their reports
Asked ‘why Rotherham’, Mr Williamson agreed that there was combination in the town of a failure to listen to and believe victims, to safeguard them and to investigate their reports.
He said: ‘Undoubtedly, a toxic mix has come together of a number of factors – those being the four primary ones we are finding in Rotherham.
‘Undoubtedly, that has occurred and as that has resulted in the scale.’
Mr Williamson said four individuals had so far been convicted, 38 arrested and 18 charged.