Rachel Bunyan, Daily Mail, June 20, 2022
A 21-year-old man was killed and eight more people were wounded in a shooting while they were enjoying a barbeque in Harlem, police said.
The victims, two women and seven men aged between 21 and 42, were shot near the intersection of East 139th Street and Fifth Avenue in the early hours of Monday morning.
Officers from the NYPD responded to numerous reports of people shot in the area at about 12.35am, detective Brian McGee said during a news conference.
Upon arrival, officers found five people shot along the footpath under the Madison Avenue Bridge. Those five victims were rushed to area hospitals by paramedics.
Four of the victims were transported to local hospitals via private means.
A 21-year-old man was taken to Lincoln Hospital where he was pronounced dead.
McGee said investigators believe the group of people who were shot had been enjoying a barbeque.
Investigators have recovered a handgun from the scene of the shooting.
Officers from the NYPD responded to numerous reports of people shot in the area at about 12.35am, detective Brian McGee said during a news conference
New York City Police Commissioner Keechant Sewell said: ‘The emboldened individuals responsible for this are exactly who our officers are battling every day to make our city safe.
‘And whilst we are making headway against violence, we have a lot of work to do.’