Chicago Sun Times, July 20, 2020
Ten people were killed and 60 others, including 10 minors, were wounded in shootings across Chicago over the weekend.
The numbers surpassed those of the same weekend last year, when 43 people were shot, three of them fatally.
Last weekend, 64 people were shot across the city, 13 of them fatally. Six of those victims were teenagers and one teen was killed.
- The latest fatal shooting killed two men and wounded three others late Sunday night in Morgan Park on the Far South Side.
Another 26-year-old, man a 37-year-old man and a 48-year-old man were also struck by bullets and taken to area hospitals, police said. The younger man was in critical condition.
- A shooting about an hour earlier left a man dead in Chatham on the South Side.
- Earlier, a man was killed in Little Village on the Southwest Side.
- About 20 minutes before that, a man was killed and a woman was injured in the Loop.
- On Saturday morning, a man was shot to death in Humboldt Park on the West Side.
- About three hours earlier, another man was killed in Little Village.
- Less than 20 minutes before that, one man was fatally shot and four other people were injured in Lawndale on the West Side.
- Nearly two hours earlier, a 67-year-old man was fatally shot in Austin on the West Side.
- The weekend’s earliest homicide killed one man and injured another Friday night in Chatham on the South Side.
- Two preteen boys were among three people shot Sunday afternoon in Gresham on the South Side.
Multiple people were sitting outside a home in the 8200 block of South Ada Street when someone opened fire from a vehicle just after 4:30 p.m., according to police. The boys, 10 and 11, were both taken to Comer Children’s Hospital in good condition. The 10-year-old was shot in the ankle and calf, while the 11-year-old was struck in the arm.
A 27-year-old man was shot in the leg and arm and taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center, where he was also in good condition, police said.
- Sunday evening, three people were shot in West Garfield Park, including a 17-year-old boy.
He and two men, 19 and 26, were walking in an alley about 9:32 p.m. in the 100 block of North Keeler Avenue when someone in a dark sedan unleashed gunfire, police said. All three people were hospitalized in good condition. The teen was struck in the leg and taken to Stroger Hospital. The 26-year-old man was shot in the ankle and taken to the same hospital. The 19-year-old man was grazed in the face and was taken to Norwegian-American Hospital.
- A 14-year-old boy was shot Saturday night in Gresham on the South Side.
He was on the sidewalk about 9:30 p.m. in the 7600 block of South Green Street when someone approached with a handgun and fired shots, according to police. The teen was hit in the upper right side of his back and his right shoulder and taken to the University of Chicago Medical Center in good condition.
- Saturday afternoon, two boys were shot during a dice game in Lawndale.
The teens, 14 and 17, were playing dice about 3:35 p.m. on a sidewalk in the 1500 block of South Sawyer Avenue when someone in a vehicle pulled up and opened fire, police said. The 17-year-old was shot in the groin and the 14-year-old was struck in the buttocks. Both were taken to Mount Sinai Hospital, where they were in good condition.
- Another teenage boy was shot early Saturday at a gas station in Belmont Central on the Northwest Side.
The 17-year-old was pumping gas at a gas station about 2:35 a.m. in the 5500 block of West Diversey Avenue when someone fired shots from a black SUV, according to police. The boy was shot in the back and taken to Community First Medical Center. He was transferred to Stroger Hospital in fair condition.
- About an hour and a half before that, another 14-year-old was wounded in Albany Park on the Northwest Side.
- On Friday night, another teen was shot in Englewood on the South Side.
- The weekend’s first shooting wounded three people, including a 14-year-old boy, in Chatham.
Other nonfatal attacks
- Two people were injured in expressway shootings in Chicago on Saturday.
- Three people were wounded in a single shooting Friday night in Roseland on the South Side.
At least 31 other people were injured by gunfire throughout Chicago between 5 p.m. Friday and 5 a.m. Monday.