Karma Allen, ABC News, June 17, 2019
A survivor of the deadly Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School shooting revealed on Monday that Harvard College rescinded its admissions offer as a result of alleged racist comments he made months before the 2018 shooting massacre.
Kyle Kashuv, 18, disclosed the news on Twitter, claiming the school rescinded its offer after screenshots surfaced showing him allegedly using racial slurs at the age of 16, just a few months before a gunman stormed into the Parkland, Florida, school and killed 17 people.
The recent graduate posted two letters purportedly from the school: one asking him explain the comments and another notifying him that the offer had been rescinded after serious consideration of “the qualities of maturity and moral character.”
“As you know, the Committee takes seriously the qualities of maturity and moral character,” William R. Fitzsimmons, dean of admissions and financial aid, wrote in a June 3 letter made public by Kashuv. “After careful consideration the committee voted to rescind your admission to Harvard College.”
Kashuv, who became a gun rights advocate in the wake of the massacre and landed a White House meeting with first lady Melania Trump, said the school rescinded the offer three months after accepting him.
Kashuv acknowledged that he had made “abhorrent racial slurs” when he was 16 years old “in an effort to be as extreme and shocking as possible.”
He said he’d given up “huge scholarships” in order to attend Harvard, according to a Monday tweet.