Express, February 3, 2017
Six men were yesterday given sentences between 10 years and 20 years – and totalling more than 80 years – by a judge who heard details of how two young girls were groomed and sexually abused in the South Yorkshire town between 1999 and 2001.
Judge Sarah Wright described how one of the girls was plied with alcohol and drugs and was having sex with a number of men from the age of 11.
The victim, in a statement read to the court, said: “There’s evil and truly evil people in the world. I feel my child was the product of pure evil.”
Judge Wright paid tribute to the woman, who was sitting just a few feet away from her in the packed courtroom.
The judge said: “As a result of what happened to her, her childhood and adolescence was taken from her.
“She remarkably transformed her life from thereon, putting her own child first.
“Hers is a tale of the most astonishing dedication and bravery.”
There were emotional and chaotic scenes at Sheffield Crown Court after two of the defendants shouted “Allahu Akbar” as they were led from the dock.
As their supporters began shouting down into the court, one of the victims shouted back “justice is served” as police moved into the public gallery.
Brothers Basharat Dad, 32, of Eldon Road, Rotherham; Nasar Dad, 36, of Cranworth Road, Rotherham, and Tayab Dad, 34, of St Lawrence Road, Tinsley, Sheffield, were jailed on Tuesday for sex offences along with Matloob Hussain, 41, of Doncaster Road, Rotherham; Mohammed Sadiq, 40, of Oxley Grove, Rotherham, and Amjad Ali, of Broad Lane, Worksop, Nottinghamshire.
Basharat Dad was jailed for 20 years, Nasar Dad was given 14 years and six months, Tayab Dad was given 10 years, Hussain was given 13 years, Sadiq was given 13 years and Ali was given 11 years.
Judge Wright said in court on Thursday that she had “no hesitation” in finding that the girl could not remember because she was heavily under the influence of drugs and alcohol.
In the impact statement read to the court, the woman said: “I was drawn into a world of fear, rape and horrific abuse. I lost my childhood at the hands of those men.”
She described how she was shunned by many in her community who called her worse things than “dirty, cheap slag”.
She said: “No-one understood. No-one wanted to understand.
“I felt lost, isolated, trapped, ashamed and completely worthless.
“I was completely owned by these dirty old men who would do with me whatever then wanted, whenever they wanted.”
The sentencing marks the end of a series of three major trials after the Jay Report on child sexual exploitation (CSE) in Rotherham.
Professor Alexis Jay’s report, in 2014, provoked a wave of shock when she described how more than 1,400 children had been groomed, trafficked and raped in the town over a 16-year period.
The three trials – based around two families and their associates – have resulted in 18 people being jailed for sentences totalling more than 280 years.
The investigation that resulted in Thursday’s sentences, called Operation Thunder, is the last into CSE in Rotherham to be led by police.
The National Crime Agency (NCA) has taken over all historic Rotherham CSE investigations with a team of more than 100 working on over a dozen inquiries.
Last year, the NCA said it had engaged with 133 victims and survivors but investigators were confident that Prof Jay was right when she said in her report that the total was around 1,400.
The agency said it was looking at hundreds of potential suspects.
Speaking outside court on Thursday, Detective Chief Inspector Martin Tate, from South Yorkshire Police, said: “This is our third significant inquiry into child sexual exploitation in Rotherham and, with the lengthy jail terms handed down to these individuals today, we have now put 18 criminals behind bars for over 280 years.
“Following the successes achieved, we will now continue to move forward using the learning and best practice we have acquired over the last few years, through work done with our brave victims, their families and partnership agencies, to apply this practice to future investigations.
“I’d encourage any victims and survivors out there who are yet to come forward to please get in touch or tell someone you trust. Officers and specialist support agencies are here to listen, to investigate and to bring perpetrators of this heinous crime before the courts.”
Mark Langan from the Crown Prosecution Service said: “These men were found guilty of a catalogue of vile sex offences against two young girls.
“The girls were targeted by these men because they were naive and vulnerable. They were given alcohol and cannabis and intimidated into performing sexual acts.
“On one occasion one of the young girls was locked alone in a flat for hours without food, water or electricity.
“These young girls were subjected to the most appalling abuse at the hands of these men.”
Basharat Dad was found guilty of six counts of rape, five of indecent assault and one of false imprisonment.
Nasar Dad was found guilty of one count of rape, inciting indecency with a child and false imprisonment.
Tayab Dad was found guilty of rape.
Matloob Hussain and Mohammed Sadiq were found guilty of sexual intercourse with a girl under 13.
All five were found guilty by a jury at Sheffield Crown Court last month.
Amjad Ali pleaded guilty last year to sexual intercourse with a girl under 13.