Jorge Fitz-Gibbon, New York Post, April 4, 2021
Shocking video shows the moment a crazed man wielding a pole trashes a Korean-owned convenience store in North Carolina while shouting racial slurs, according to reports.
Mark Sung, whose family owns the Charlotte store, said the brute who trashed their business was allegedly hired by a customer who had been banned from the shop.
“As he was [trashing the shop], he was like saying racial slurs, cursing at us, threatening us,” Sung said. “And the guy that we banned ended up coming into the store, cheering him on and screaming, ‘That’s what you get, that’s what you get! Go back to your country!’ “
The footage from the Plaza Sundries last week shows the culprit knocking down a display stand before he begins swinging the metal pole at the glass of refrigerated displays in the store.
Suspect Xavier Rashee Woody-Silas, 24, is now facing a slew of charges in the incident, including robbery with a dangerous weapon, communicating threats and disorderly conduct, the Charlotte Area Transit System said on Twitter.
According to WBTV-News, the attack caused more than $9,000 in damages.
Sung said the family has been targeted before because of their Asian-American heritage — and said his mother has taken the latest assault particularly hard.
In surveillance footage provided to me by family of the store owners, you can see the robber smashing merchandise & coolers with a metal bar. No one was hurt but they estimate at least $9k in damage. pic.twitter.com/JCoLnMfFAB
— Kristi O’Connor WBTV (@KristiOConnor_) April 2, 2021