Corey Charlton, Daily Mail, January 7, 2016
The massive influx into Europe of young, unaccompanied men will lead to a gender imbalance and more sex attacks like those seen in Cologne, a professor has warned.
Crimes such as sexual assaults and rape become more common in ‘masculinised’ societies, while women’s ability to travel without fear worsens, Dr Valerie Hudson claims.
Her warning comes as police in Germany reveal the ‘organised Arab or North African’ sex gangs which terrorised more than 100 women in Cologne blocked officers from helping distressed victims.
The chilling police report describes women being forced to run through a ‘gauntlet’ of drunken men while officers themselves were mobbed by victims claiming they had been sexually assaulted.
But the problem is now believed to be far more widespread than initially thought.
Today it emerged identical sex gangs are operating in neighbouring Austria, while more than 150 woman across five German cities have reported attacks.
And in Switzerland, six women reported identical crimes in Zurich on New Year’s Eve, while Finnish police intercepted information suggesting similar attacks were planned.
Writing for Politico, Professor Hudson, from Texas A&M University, said: ‘There are also clearly negative effects for women in male-dominated populations.
‘Crimes such as rape and sexual harassment become more common in highly masculinised societies, and women’s ability to move about freely and without fear within society is curtailed.
‘In addition, demand for prostitution soars.’
She cites Sweden–which has taken in large numbers of refugees–as one example of a country where the gender imbalance has become skewed.
‘While the humanitarian needs of the refugees streaming into Europe must be foremost in our minds at this time, policy makers in Sweden and other countries should also think of the long-term consequences of an unprecedented alteration in the young adult sex ratios of their societies.’
Her analysis comes as a New Year’s Eve police report from Cologne, where two women have reported being raped and another 104 assaulted, was leaked to media.
The details of the report reveal shocking details of police being blocked from assisting women as they are mobbed by groups of ‘migrant’ men.
Seen by German tabloid Bild, the officer noted women were forced to run a ‘gauntlet’ through groups of drunken men.
In one incident logged by officers, a man told police: ‘I am from Syria, you need to treat me nicely. I was personally invited by Mrs Merkel’.
Another ripped up his own papers in front of an officer, saying: ‘You can’t do anything to me, go get me a new one tomorrow.’
Arriving at the scene, the officer was greeted by waves of upset women claiming they had been sexually assaulted by groups of male migrants.
According to The Local, It read: ‘On the square outside were several thousand mostly male people of a migrant background who were firing all kinds of fireworks and throwing bottles into the crowd at random.’
Struggling to gain control, the officer was approached by ‘numerous crying and shocked women reporting sexual assaults.’
But despite all the statements so far taken, police confirmed that they so far have made no arrests and only 16 suspects in their sights.
According to German media, some of the suspects are recent arrivals to Europe, though police have refused to comment on the claim.
Today Chancellor Angela Merkel has said that Germany must examine whether it has done enough to deport foreigners who commit crimes.
She said the New Year’s Eve assaults were ‘repugnant criminal acts that… Germany will not accept,’ and that legal changes or extra police presence may be examined.
‘The feeling women had in this case of being at people’s mercy, without any protection, is intolerable for me personally as well,’ she said.
‘And so it is important for everything that happened there to be put on the table.
‘There are some very serious questions which arise from what has happened which have relevance beyond Cologne,’ she said, including establishing whether there are common patterns of behaviour by some groups of people who do not respect women.
She said she would consider changing the law, boosting police numbers and making sure the deportation system was effective. She added that ‘cultural coexistence’ must be continually discussed.
‘We have a duty to give the right answers.’
After it took several days for the truth about what occurred in Cologne to surface, it emerged identical sex attacks had been carried out across four other German cities on the exact same night.
Hamburg now has 39 reported cases, Frankfurt 7, Stuttgart 3 and Bielefeld 5. It’s not clear who was responsible for the attacks, and the numbers of cases is likely to further rise.
Police also said they have arrested a pair who were part of a gang of five tackled by police over an alleged theft from a train passenger, and after taking them in, police said it was later discovered that they and their gang had been assaulting women prior to the theft. Both are currently in custody.
A police spokesman said: ‘At the moment, there is concrete evidence that the accused shortly before carrying out the thefts had been approaching numerous women and assaulting them.’
They added that the women had not stayed to make complaints at the time, and they appealed for them to get in touch.
They said that without a complaint from the women, the men remain only under arrest for the theft. It was also unclear, they said, whether the two were part of the alleged New Year’s Eve assaults.
Meanwhile, it has now emerged that similar sex attacks have occurred in Austria, but police held the information back ‘to protect the privacy of victims’.
News of the incidents in Austria, which has featured the arrests of migrants from Afghanistan and Syria, was revealed after women and girls came forward to complain to local media.
One identified as Sabrina told Austrian newspaper Osterreich that she was still suffering from shock from the ordeal, which occurred when she was in a club in the centre of the Mozart city of Salzburg.
She described walking home about 2am when a group of men began shouting and ran up to them, grabbing two of her friends.
‘They tried to beat them off, but they were overcome and one of them was grabbed by the head. He was cuddling her and licking her face.’
It was only after she managed to hit and kick the attacker that her group was able to flee. She claimed to be aware of many other incidents.
‘Many women and girls have also been attacked. Some told me they were attacked on the Staatsbrucke, some in the marketplace and others at the train station. One claimed a group by the town hall had even tried to kidnap her, but she was helped by a passer-by.’
Salzburg prosecutor Robert Holzleitner said there had been ‘multiple complaints about sex attacks’, but he refused to give a specific figure.
An Austrian police spokesperson said the public were not notified in order to protect victims’ privacy.
The spokesperson said the reported attacks included a 22-year-old woman who had complained about a sex assault and theft against persons unknown after she was attacked by a group of around 8 to 10 men who surrounded her and then groped her.
She said the suspects were ‘foreign-looking men’ but refused to give more detail, saying that the investigations were continuing.
Another New Year attack concerned a 17-year-old girl who was shot at by a 23-year-old Syrian using a battery of fireworks, and after he was arrested it was alleged that he had also assaulted a 20-year-old German woman shortly before.
A 24-year-old man from Afghanistan was grabbed by bouncers at a nightclub after a 28-year-old young woman from Salzburg was reportedly assaulted by him.
In another case a 28-year-old, also from Afghanistan, shortly after midnight had attacked a woman from Salzburg after grabbing her from her scooter.
Meanwhile, the police chief in Cologne has said the perpetrators of the 106 reported attacks appeared to be of ‘Arab or North African origin’, prompting right-wing groups to condemn the government for its welcoming stance towards refugees fleeing war in Syria and elsewhere.
North Rhine-Westphalia Interior Minister Ralf Jaeger said he expected a ‘very detailed report’ from the police this week but declined to give further details about the investigation.
Police said the attacks occurred when about 1,000 men split into gangs as officers cleared a square to stop fireworks being thrown from the top of steps into the crowd below.
Germany took in about a million asylum seekers over the past year and many more are expected to arrive during 2016.
German officials appear to be at odds over how to respond to the assaults in Cologne.
Federal Interior Minister Thomas De Maiziere has criticised local police for not having intervened during the New Year celebrations to prevent further assaults on women.
Meanwhile Cologne’s mayor, Henriette Reker, has apologised on Facebook for the way her comments were interpreted in which she told women they should avoid trouble in the future by keeping foreigners at arm’s length.
She said: ‘I am really very sorry.’
However, without any arrests, she has insisted that there is no evidence the men involved in the attacks were refugees.
Officials have cautioned it’s important not to cast suspicion on refugees in general. Still, Justice Minister Heiko Maas said in an interview with the Funke newspaper group that ‘deportations would certainly be conceivable.’
He said the law allows for people to be deported during asylum proceedings if they’re sentenced to a year or more in prison.
‘The courts will have to decide on the level of sentences, but that penalty is in principle absolutely possible for sexual offences,’ he said.
Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere said Wednesday that ‘anyone who commits serious crimes, whatever status he is in, must reckon with being deported from Germany.’