Posted on July 16, 2012

Cops: 2 More Charged in Deadly Attack Posted on Facebook

Jim Jaworski and Bridget Doyle, Chicago Tribune, July 16, 2012

Two more teens have been charged in connection in the deadly attack on a 62-year-old man last week that was recorded and posted on Facebook the same day a judge denied bond for a 16-year-old.

Nicholas Ayala, 17, and Anthony Malcolm, 18, were each charged with first-degree murder and robbery in the slaying of Delfino Mora, according to Chicago police.

Both Ayala and Malcolm each took turns using a cell phone camera to record the Tuesday morning beating that killed Mora, authorities said.


In court earlier in the day, Malik Jones, 16, of the 2400 block of West Thorndale Avenue, was ordered held without bail by Judge Adam Bourgeois for the first-degree murder charge. {snip}

Mora, of the 6000 block of North Washtenaw Avenue in the West Rogers Park neighborhood, was found unconscious but breathing in an alley in the 6300 block of North Artesian Avenue just before 8 a.m. Tuesday. He was taken to St. Francis Hospital in Evanston in critical condition and died at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday. {snip}


Jones was with two others when he confronted Mora Tuesday morning, asking him what he had in his pockets, prosecutors said. Jones then punched the victim in the jaw and he fell to the ground, hitting his head on the concrete, prosecutors said.

The attack was videotaped on the defendant’s cell phone by one of the other individuals and was later put on Jones’ Facebook page, prosecutors said. {snip}


Jones, who officials say is a gang member, was arrested Saturday in southwest suburban Orland Hills with the cell phone. {snip}


Maria Carmen Mora, 59, said her husband of more than 40 years was a hard worker and the patriarch of the family that includes 12 children. The family started out very poor in Mexico, she said, so her husband, who had built his home in Michoacan, Mexico, came to the Chicago area to work home construction to support their children.

A work accident about 15 years ago left him without full use of his right arm, she said, so he was unable to continue working. But Valentin Mora, 38, said his father’s disability didn’t keep him stuck inside. He would often walk around the neighborhood and collect cans to help support the family.