Deutsche Presse-Agentur, May 1, 2019
Ebola cases and deaths in eastern Congo have risen sharply in the past week, authorities said Tuesday, placing the blame on recurrent attacks on treatment centers and health workers.
The number of fatalities has risen rapidly, from around 600 at the end of March to over 900 a month later.
“As soon as there is a security incident, such as the destruction of the Ebola treatment centers or the murder of our colleague (from the World Health Organization), the main response activities are suspended for an indefinite period,” ministry spokeswoman Jessica Ilunga told dpa.
So far there have been 1,480 cases and 970 deaths, since the outbreak — the second-largest in history — began last year.
Numerous militia groups operate in eastern Congo, most fighting over the country’s rich natural resources.
Authorities and aid groups have also had to deal with a local population suspicious of health workers and on April 19 a WHO epidemiologist, Richard Mouzoko, was killed by armed men.