Chris Baynes, Independent, March 7, 2019
Tommy Robinson could face up to two years in prison after the attorney general ruled he should face fresh contempt of court charges.
Geoffrey Cox concluded it was in the public interest to bring proceedings against the anti-Islam activist, real name Stephen Yaxley-Lennon, over his conduct outside a grooming trial at Leeds Crown Court.
Robinson was jailed after being found in contempt of court in May last year, but his conviction was quashed on appeal.
The case was referred to the attorney general late last year to determine in the English Defence League should face new proceedings.
In a statement on Thursday, Mr Cox said: “After carefully considering the details of this case, I have concluded there are strong grounds to bring fresh contempt of court proceedings against Stephen Yaxley-Lennon (AKA Tommy Robinson).
“As proceedings are now underway, it would not be appropriate to comment further and I remind everyone that it is an offence to comment on live court cases.”
The first hearing in the case will be held on 22 March at the High Court in London.
Reacting to the announcement, Robinson said: “What people should be asking is what’s taken the attorney general five months?
“How is this in the public interest? This is ongoing state persecution of a journalist who exposes the government, the establishment and all of their wrongs.
“I, along with the support of the British public, will contest this. I am innocent. I broke no law.”
Large crowds of supporters have turned out to cheer on Robinson at previous court appearances.
He could be jailed again if he is found in contempt, with a maximum sentence of two years.