Posted on January 14, 2019

Black Man Arrested After Allegedly Killing and Dismembering His White Grandmother and Their Landlord

Anneta Konstantinides, Daily Mail, January 9, 2019

Man, 29, arrested after allegedly killing and dismembering his grandmother, 90, and their landlord, 87, tells judge ‘I chopped her up in the name of the lord’

Anneta Konstantinides, Daily Mail, January 9, 2019

A New York man is behind bars after he allegedly killed both his grandmother and their landlord and chopped up their bodies ‘in the name of the lord’.

Naythen Aubain, 29, has been charged with two counts of first-degree murder in the deaths of his grandmother Katherine Aubain, 80, and their 87-year-old landlord Jane Wentka.

‘I did do it. I did chop her up. I didn’t only chop her up, I chopped my landlord up too,’ Aubain told the judge during his proceeding at Oneida County Centralized Arraignment Court on Tuesday night.

‘I killed her, chopped her up in the name of the lord,’ he continued. ‘She wanted to do nasty things, and I had enough.’

Katherine Aubain and grandson Naythen.

Authorities were first alerted to the murders after Aubain crashed his car into a telephone pole on Sunday night.

He told first responders at the scene that he had killed someone, according to The Post-Standard.

Utica Police then went to the home that Aubain shared with his grandmother and found that she was missing.

They also went to Wentka’s ground-floor apartment, where they made a grisly discovery.

The landlord’s body had been dismembered.

Parts of her body were found in the apartment, while her torso and head were discovered along a nearby street.

Authorities initially reported Katherine missing, but discovered her dismembered body in a shallow grave at a small park on Monday night.

Oneida County District Attorney Scott McNamara said the grandmother’s body was buried in a ‘remote area’ off a ‘dead-end road’.

Buried with Katherine’s body was a dead dog that police believe had belonged to Wentka, according to WKTV.

Initial reports suggest that both women were stabbed to death.

‘Both bodies were taken to the medical examiner,’ McNamara said. ‘At this point, it’s hard to tell what we’re dealing with.’

Aubain was placed in a medically-induced coma following the car crash and was released from the hospital and charged on Tuesday night.

He arrived to his arraignment in shackles and was wearing a mesh hood over his face, which is often used when suspects try to spit at people.

When members of the press asked Aubain why he allegedly killed his grandmother, he replied: ‘She tried to touch me sexually, and I had enough’.

Officers shackled Aubain to a gurney-type device after he tried to push himself around them at the podium, according to the Utica Observer-Dispatch.

Aubain, who is being held without bail, will next appear at Utica City Court at 9am on Wednesday. He will also undergo a mental examination.

McNamara said he expects Aubain will attempt a psychiatric defense. He could face life in prison without parole if convicted for the two murders.

Last February, Aubain was charged with second-degree harassment and criminal obstruction of airway in an incident that involved is grandmother.

The case was transferred to a mental health court.

Aubain also previously served a five-year sentence in state prison for a second-degree robbery conviction. He was released in April 2016.