Sasha Goldstein, NY Daily News, October 7, 2014
Racial tension spilled over from Ferguson, Mo., into nearby St. Louis on Monday night, where a handful of protesters urging justice for Michael Brown were met by mostly white Cardinals fans who taunted them with chants about poverty, Africa and in support of the white officer who killed the unarmed black teen.
The ugly confrontation was caught on video outside of Busch Stadium, where the Cardinals took on the Los Angeles Dodgers in a National League baseball playoff game. A group of protesters massed outside Gate 4, a smoking section outside the stadium, and began urging “Justice for Mike Brown!” as they hoisted signs and an upside down American flag.
“We’re the ones who f—–g gave all y’all all the freedoms that you have!” a petite blond white woman, holding a beer and rally towel, yells at the protesters.
On Monday, the peaceful protests quickly turned ugly but not violent. Smokers clad in Cardinals jersey responded to chants of “Justice for Mike Brown!” with jeers of “Let’s Go Darren!” in reference to Wilson. One fan taped over the name across the back of a Cardinals jersey and hand wrote “I am Darren Wilson.”
“If they’d be working, we wouldn’t have this problem!” yelled one elderly white man.
Fans later started a chant of “Get a job!” and, in response to a chant of “USA!” one man yells “Go home” while a white woman, the same who spoke about giving freedom, chants back, “Africa!”
Another fan tells the protesters to pull up their pants.
“Go tear your own neighborhood up, see what that does,” one man taunts.
[Editor’s Note: Deadspin has listed the time stamps of the relevant parts of the video below:
- We start off with a bang. At about the 22-second mark, an old white Cardinals fan begins telling the protesters — all of whom appear to be black — that they need to get jobs. He looks right in the camera, proudly, and says, “That’s right! If they’d be working, we wouldn’t have this problem!”
- At about the 1:30 mark, the crowd of Cardinals fans begin drowning out the protesters’ chants with a “Let’s go Cardinals!” chant. Well, they could be saying worse things…
- At the 2:40 mark, they start saying much worse things. The “Let’s go Cardinals!” chant has turned into a “Let’s go Darren!” chant. Cool.
- At 8:10 one of the Cardinals fans calls one of the protesters a “crack head” and tells him he needs to go see a dentist.
- At 8:50 the “Let’s go Cardinals” chant starts up again.
- At 9:05 one of the Cardinals fans starts telling one of the protesters that if he ever “saw him in the street” he would “look at the ground.” They argue for a bit about who would and would not whip whose ass.
- At about 10:25 a small blonde lady starts yelling at the protesters: “We’re the ones who gave all y’all the freedoms that you have!”
- At about 12:14 an older female Cardinals fan begins telling the man holding the camera, who claims he is a former Marine, that she doesn’t believe he is a veteran. The conversation does not go well for her.
- At 14:54, the Cardinals fans start in on a very loud “USA! USA! USA!” chant.
- At 16:07, another Cardinals fan begins yelling at the protesters, telling them that they need to get jobs.
- At 16:43, a female Cardinals fan begins chanting “Africa! Africa! Africa!” at the protesters.
- At 17:10, a Cardinals fans tells the protesters that they need to remove their hats and pull up their pants.