Erik Thomle, Jyllands-Posten (Copenhagen), Oct. 31
Rosenhøj Mall has several nights in a row been the scene of the worst riots in Århus for years. “This area belongs to us”, the youths proclaim. Sunday evening saw a new arson attack.
Their words sound like a clear declaration of war on the Danish society. Police must stay out. The area belongs to immigrants.
Four youths sit on the wall in Rosenhøj Mall sunday afternoon, calling themselves spokesmen for the groups, that three nights in a row have ravaged and tried to burn down the restaurant and other stores.
Around the parking lot, cars with youngsters from the immigrant community are swarming, and many are walking around, greeting each others with a sense of victory after the worst riots in Århus in years.
Every night 30-40 youths took part, especially immigrants.
Only two were arrested.
That was a victory.
“We knew, you would be coming. We are spokesmen”, said a young man with a black knitted hood on his head, when JP [Jyllands-Posten] visited Rosenhøj Mall sunday. He was angry. Very angry. Behind him the pub Hot Shot has scars after the attacks with cobble stones, and the stores along the parking lot besides the small mall have their windows covered with adhesive tape in a spiderweb pattern.
Four hours after the short meeting, Falck [Danish private emergency service — Henrik] sent a group of fire engines under police escort to the nursery Kjærslund on Søndervangs Allé, right across the street from Rosenhøj Mall.
Gasoline through the window
A window had been shattered at the back of the house, and the fire had been blazing, apparently because of gasoline poured onto the floor, then lit.
Falck stopped on Viby Square, a couple kilometers from the site of the arson attack, waiting for the police to turn up so they could be escorted to the nursery. Two nights earlier, other Falck-employees were threatened, when they were covering up broken shop-windows.
Cobblestones had smashed the shop-windows from one end of the mall to the other. The police wrote in their report saturday night, that the youths had their stones with them in bags, when they came to Rosenhøj.
Cobblestones against bakery.
Saturday morning a 16-year-old somali boy was incarcerated, accused of aggravated assault, as he friday evening threw a cobblestone through a window in the bakery. The stone passed closely by baker Børge Svaløs face. ..
He calls himself 100 percent Palestinian, born in a refugee camp in Lebanon 19 years ago, and now out of work in Denmark.
“The police has to stay away. This is our area. We decide what goes down here”.
And then the bit with the drawings of the prophet Muhammed comes around:
We are tired of what we see happening with our prophet. We are tired of Jyllands-Posten. I know it isnt you, but we wont accept what Jyllands-Posten has done to the prophet”, he says aggressively, and the others nod approvingly.
Planned for three weeks
To of them are Turks, and it is the first time, that Turks and Palestinians act together, the 19-year-old says.
“We have planned this for three weeks. That is why only two were arrested saturday nigh. The police will cordon off it all. But we know the ways out”, he claims, and then disappears, munching on a piece of pizza from Fun Pizza.
The pizzerias windows are also held together by adhesive tape after the attacks with cobblestones.