Vivek Chaudhary, Daily Mail, December 27, 2021
A teenager suspected of scaling Windsor Castle armed with a crossbow in a bid to ‘assassinate the Queen in revenge for 1919 Amritsar massacre’ has today been pictured for the first time.
Jaswant Singh Chail uploaded a pre-recorded video to Snapchat at 8:06am on Christmas Day, 24 minutes before a man was arrested by police inside the grounds of Windsor Castle.
It has sparked a major internal security review at the estate looking at how someone could have got so far into the grounds.
Chail, who was raised in a £500,000 semi-detached house on a private estate in North Baddesley, Southampton, has now been pictured for the first time after his father, Jasbir Singh Chail, told MailOnline something had ‘gone horribly wrong with our son and we are trying to figure out what’.
Mr Chail, 57, added: ‘We’ve not had a chance to speak to him but are trying to get him the help he needs. From our perspective, we are going through a difficult time. We are trying to resolve this issue and it’s not easy.’
Jaswant’s father is a well-spoken, qualified software engineer who runs the company from his home.
Their son is believed to have enjoyed a comfortable, loving upbringing surrounded by his family in the middle-class district where they live, which is located just north of Southampton.
Known to friends as Jas, he is said to have used a filter to distort his voice and wore a hoodie and mask – an outfit thought to be inspired by Star Wars
He says: ‘I’m sorry. I’m sorry for what I’ve done and what I will do. I will attempt to assassinate Elizabeth, Queen of the Royal Family. This is revenge for those who have died in the 1919 Jallianwala Bagh massacre.
‘It is also revenge for those who have been killed, humiliated and discriminated on because of their race. I’m an Indian Sikh, a Sith.’
He adds: ‘My name was Jaswant Singh Chail’ then appears to give a Star Wars-themed identity which sounds like ‘Darth Janus’.
Sith appears to be a reference to the leading villains in Star Wars. A framed picture of Star Wars character Darth Malgus was visible in the background of the clip.
The Jallianwala Bagh massacre, or Massacre of Amritsar, saw 379 protesters killed and 1,200 wounded by British forces in India.
Alongside the video a message was also sent on Snapchat which said: ‘I’m sorry to all of those who I have wronged or lied to.
‘If you have received this then my death is near. Please share this with whoever and if possible get it to the news if they’re interested.’
The suspect, who police have not yet named, was arrested shortly after 8.30am yesterday after he was spotted on CCTV roaming the gardens after scaling an outer wall. He was later sectioned under the Mental Health Act.
Scotland Yard said detectives were examining the footage which was posted on social media before the Christmas Day incident at the Queen’s Berkshire home.
Police confirmed a crossbow was found after the intruder was detained in the castle grounds while the Queen was in residence.
There is no indication the intruder, who has not been named, was known for making threats to any members of the Royal Family before this week.
And sources say that once he had gained access to the royal estate, the teenager ‘didn’t know what to do with himself’ and was quickly arrested.
But it is clear that the incident is being taken extremely seriously. The Metropolitan Police is investigating and has informed the Home Office.
A Scotland Yard spokesman said: ‘Following the man’s arrest, detectives are assessing the contents of a video.’
Crossbows are often referred to as ‘lethal but legal’ because they require no licence or registration and can be bought on the internet with ease.
Yesterday police searched the four-bed detached home in Southampton where the suspect lives with his family.
One neighbour told The Sun: ‘There was a big commotion with all the police around and it caused some concern, especially as it was Christmas Day.
‘The family keep themselves to themselves, like the rest of the estate, but we know there’s a teenage lad who lives there with his mum and dad. The police didn’t leave the estate until late at night.’
Police will be looking at how the intruder was able to scale the spiked perimeter fence surrounding the Berkshire castle’s grounds in the first place.
It is believed he had a makeshift ladder to gain access from the Long Walk, which royals frequently use because of its proximity to the Queen’s private apartments.
The Long Walk is located in an area of parkland that can be accessed by members of the public.
A major internal security review will be initiated as a matter of course, particularly as it follows a series of security scares on the Windsor Great Park estate involving Prince Andrew.
In one incident a woman posing as a guest entered his home, Royal Lodge.
Senior royals, including the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and the Duchess of Cornwall, have voiced concern after some of their most trusted police bodyguards were removed in a security shake-up.
Even the Queen has privately expressed disquiet over changes to the way she and her family are protected, sources said.
The latest security scare took place after the suspect with the crossbow was found at 8.30am on Christmas Day, when the Queen would have been at Windsor without her family.
Within hours she was joined by a number of senior royals including the Prince of Wales, Duchess of Cornwall and the Earl and Countess of Wessex.
Retired chief superintendent Dai Davies, the former head of royal protection at Scotland Yard, said the incident again highlighted the ‘very serious threat’ that ‘fixated people and stalkers’ pose.
He said: ‘Since the time of George III, 99 per cent of attacks against members of the Royal Family have involved a fixated person, or stalker. And the news that a crossbow was involved actually scares me. They will go through a windscreen.
‘And in all my years of crime and catching criminals, it is rare for crossbows to be used for criminal purposes. Anyone knowing the royals were in residence and having a fair idea of their comings and goings, could pose a very real and potentially tragic threat with something like that.’
But he cautioned: ‘It is always a balance between public accessibility to the Royal Family and their ability to live even the semblance of a normal life, with their safety. You can’t turn these royal residence into prisons. And royalty protection is like an onion.
‘There are layers. There would have been a lot of other obstacles for him to get through before he even got near a member of the Royal Family. It is clear he was picked up by CCTV and apprehended at the first possible opportunity. Troubling as the incident is, in this case the security worked.’
In a statement the Metropolitan Police said: ‘A 19-year-old man from Southampton was arrested on suspicion of breach or trespass of a protected site and possession of an offensive weapon.
‘Security processes were triggered within moments of the man entering the grounds and he did not enter any buildings.
‘Following a search of the man, a crossbow was recovered. The man was taken into custody and has undergone a mental health assessment. He has since been sectioned under the Mental Health Act.
‘Enquiries into the full circumstances of this incident are being progressed by Metropolitan Police Specialist Operations.’
Security at Windsor Castle has been beefed up in recent years, sources have said. A review was carried out in 2003 after self-styled comedy terrorist Aaron Barschak broke in during Prince William’s 21st birthday party.