Fróði Midjord, Scandza Forum, March 20, 2020
Considering the trajectory of the COVID-19 pandemic and related travel restrictions, we are forced to postpone the Zagreb Scandza Forum until later this year. I have waited as long as I reasonably can in order to avoid making a premature decision, but now I can delay no further.
Some European countries have closed their borders for a month and some have even closed their borders without a time limit. We have no way of knowing if the Croatian borders will be open for travellers in late April/early May; but even if the Croatian borders may be open, many other countries may well have travel restrictions that prevent our speakers and guests from going to Croatia.
Under such circumstances, it is impossible to organize a conference. Even if all borders would be open again in time for the event, it is impossible for attendees and organizers to currently make travel plans — and not everything can be left to the last minute. With that in mind, it would be unethical to continue selling tickets and encouraging guests to book flights when it is no longer certain that the event will be possible in early May.
Most importantly, we have speakers and guests in high-risk age groups, and we should encourage them to refrain from traveling until the situation is under control. Safety must be our number one priority right now.
Rest assured that the conference is not cancelled, but only postponed. When the smoke clears away, we will set a new date as soon as possible. A pandemic is the prime example of force majeure, so I hope that you will understand our decision to reschedule.
This has been a difficult decision, but I am convinced it is the right one. We will overcome even this obstacle!