Chelsia Rose Marcius, Laura Dimon, and Larry McShane, NY Daily News, March 2, 2017
A half-dozen members of the brutal MS-13 street gang were charged Thursday morning with the machete and baseball bat murders of two high school pals on Long Island, authorities said.
A 34-page superseding indictment laid out the charges against brothers Alexi and Jairo (Funny) Saenz, Selvin (Flash) Chavez and Enrique (Turkey) Portillo in the Sept. 13, 2016, double homicide.
Students Nisa Mickens, 15, and Kayla Cuevas, 16, were targeted after the latter girl became involved in a dispute with MS-13 members at Brentwood High School, the indictment said.
The vengeful suspects were driving through Brentwood looking for rivals to kill when they spotted the two teens walking along the street.
The Saenz brothers authorized the hit, with Chavez, Portillo and two juveniles linked to MS-13 grabbing bats and a machete to savagely batter the unarmed girls.
“Nisa’s mother said she didn’t want to cry today because she had been crying for six months,” he said. “Today she was going to enjoy what justice felt like.”
In recent months, an estimated 125 suspected MS-13 members were arrested on Long Island. Law enforcers have linked to the gang to at least 30 other homicides on Long Island since 2010.