Paris Attacks: What We Know About Suspects and Fugitives

Aggelos Petropoulos, NBC News, November 16, 2015

More details emerged Monday about the seven attackers responsible for the Paris massacre, as well as their suspected accomplice and a reported mastermind–both of whom remain on the run.

‘Ahmad Almohammad’

One of the suicide bombers who brought terror to a packed sports stadium in Paris on Friday entered Europe on a boat packed with migrants last month, Greek officials said.

The attacker landed on the Greek island of Leros on Oct. 3 carrying a Syrian passport and gave his name as Ahmad Almohammad, Greek Immigration minister Ioannis Mouzalas told reporters Sunday.

"Ahmad Almohammad"

“Ahmad Almohammad”

Mouzalas said he arrived on a boat from Turkey with 198 others–a journey undertaken by tens of thousands of refugees and migrants trying to cross borders into the European Union.

{snip} However, French justice minister Christiane Taubira told NBC News the passport was likely not genuine.

{snip}

Sami Amimour

The 28-year-old French native, from the northern Paris suburb of Drancy, near Saint Denis, was among the attackers at the Bataclan concert hall.

Prosecutors in Paris said Amimour was charged with links to terrorism in October 2012 and placed under court order, but an international arrest warrant was issued for him in 2013 in relation to a failed attempt to visit Yemen.

{snip}

Ismael Omar Mostefai

The 29-year-old of Algerian descent lived in Chartres, about 60 miles southwest of Paris, until at least 2012.

He was under the watch of French intelligence services from 2010 for reported radicalization.

An unnamed senior Turkish government official says Turkey flagged Mostefai as a possible terror suspect in December 2014 and June 2015, but only got a return request for information on him after the Paris attacks.

{snip}

Brahim Abdeslam

The 31-year-old French resident of Belgium blew himself up at the Comptoir Voltaire cafe, French judicial sources told The Associated Press.

He is the brother of Salah Abdeslam, a key suspect still at large.

Bilal Hadfi

The 20-year-old was one of the suicide bombers who targeted the Stade de France sports stadium, French judicial sources told The Associated Press.

Salah Abdeslam

A manhunt was still ongoing Monday for the eighth suspect in the attacks, whose name was on rental documents for a Belgian-registered black Volkswagen Polo found outside the Bataclan concert hall where most of the 130 victims were killed.

{snip}

Abdelhamid Abaaoud

A leading Belgian jihadist who is one of the most active ISIS operators in Syria is the suspected mastermind behind the Paris massacre and is still at large, according to reports.

{snip}

Topics: , , ,

Share This

We welcome comments that add information or perspective, and we encourage polite debate. If you log in with a social media account, your comment should appear immediately. If you prefer to remain anonymous, you may comment as a guest, using a name and an e-mail address of convenience. Your comment will be moderated.