Posted on April 26, 2005

Beaten by Race Gang

Halifax Today (UK), April 26, 2005

A terrified bank worker told today how he feared for his life after a racist attack by a six-strong mob.

Scott Gilling, 25, lay helpless as the gang punched and kicked him in the head.

He said the men laughed as they kicked him on the ground and called him a “white b*****d.” He eventually staggered to safety leaving a trail of blood.

Mr Gilling suffered a broken nose, chipped teeth and extensive bruising and cuts. He is now recovering at his Ripponden home. Police today appealed for the public’s help to trace the six Asian men. Det Insp Mark McManus, of Calderdale CID, said: “This was an unprovoked attack, believed to be racially motivated.”

Mr Gilling said he had been on his way to meet friends when he was confronted by the group on Sunday evening. They attacked his car before turning on him.

The Halifax GPO footballer said he had driven to an end-of-season party at the Horse and Jockey in Highroad Well, Halifax.

He was not drinking alcohol, so drove to the Allan Fold pub to watch a TV soccer match before arranging to go to the William IV at King Cross Road at half time. He agreed to meet his friends there.

He drove to the car park behind King Cross Road but as he went to turn in, a gang of six men stood blocking the way.

He said they walked in front of his car and threw a carton at his rear window. Mr Gilling felt intimidated and drove to the far end of the car park in his Ford Ka.

He said: “I got out and could see them running towards me. I was trying to lock my car door but they caught me up.

“They surrounded me. I was petrified because there were six of them.

“They asked what my problem was and as I was saying there was no problem one of them punched me in the cheek.

“They punched me three or four times. I went down on the ground. I tried putting my hands up in front of my face but they were kicking me in the head.

“I was telling them to get off me because I hadn’t done anything.

“Then the biggest one grabbed me and pulled me across the car park by my hair.

“They punched me in the face again and I managed to wriggle away but I stumbled on to a car and they caught up and punched me three or four more times.

“It seemed to go on for an eternity. I was scared for my life.”

He stumbled on to King Cross Road and spotted his friends who were walking along the street.

Mr Gilling was treated at Calderdale Royal Hospital and discharged later.

He said: “I’m still in a state of shock. I have been going to King Cross since I was small. I never felt frightened but now I don’t want to go back.”