Posted on October 13, 2022

NYC Subway Bash Suspect Blames Victim, Shows No Remorse for Brutal Beating in Exclusive Rikers Interview

Emma Seiwell et al., New York Daily News, October 8, 2022


The ex-con accused of savagely beating a helpless stranger in a Queens subway station remained unrepentant about the beatdown, blaming his victim for the unprovoked attack in an exclusive Rikers Island interview with the Daily News.

“I wasn’t trying to kill her,” said the oft-arrested Waheed Foster during a rambling hour-long sitdown. “I was just trying to give a real good a-s whooping … If I stomped her in the face, she’d be dead.”

Foster, 41, convicted of murdering his grandmother at the age of 14, flatly admitted the beating of victim Elizabeth Gomes, a 33-year-old mother of two now at risk of losing an eye in the Sept. 20 attack caught on security video inside the Howard Beach-JFK Airport station.


Foster’s long history of violence and mental illness dates to the brutal 1995 killing of his grandmother inside her Brooklyn apartment, followed by a 2001 arrest for stabbing his sister in the hand with a screwdriver.

In 2010, he attacked three female workers in a Queens halfway house with a knife, stabbing one woman repeatedly in the chest and face {snip}

Foster, charged with attempted murder, assault and criminal possession of a weapon in the subway beating, offered an animated account of the shocking attack on an innocent victim heading to work.

He laid the blame for the vicious attack on the woman, insisting they were chatting on the train prior to the 5 a.m. incident — though the victim said she ignored Foster.


Foster, in the interview, callously mimicked Gomes’ desperate calls for help as she was lying on the ground, bleeding and weeping. And he expressed no regrets for the assault, “not if it teach a lesson for someone not to come at me,” said Foster before adding a single caveat: “I do regret that I might do time.”

He currently has four open cases in Manhattan and Queens on a variety of charges {snip}


Foster’s rap sheet indicates his arrest last month was his eighth in the last 21 years despite his lengthy amount of time behind bars. He was released from the Elmira Correctional Facility on April 1, 2021 after serving most of a 12-year sentence in the triple stabbing.