Posted on October 29, 2020

Rioters Hurl Fireworks at DC Police, Loot and Smash Store Windows

Lauren Fruen, Daily Mail, October 29, 2020

Rioters on Wednesday night hurled fireworks at police in Washington DC and smashed shop windows during a second night of protests over death of black man who died fleeing officers.

Karon Hylton, 20, died Monday after crashing into a car while being chased on a Revel scooter by police in DC. Police there say Hylton died after they saw him riding without a helmet last Friday. But the dad-of-one’s friend said: ‘They hit him in the back of his scooter and pushed him into the oncoming car.’

Footage from the city Wednesday also appeared to show some looters stealing an ATM machine from a Walgreens.

In Philadelphia the death of Walter Wallace Jr., 27, on Monday prompted protests and widespread vandalism; there was an overnight curfew in place Wednesday.

Police in Philadelphia said they were investigating after finding explosives inside a van in the city, ABC6 reports. Officers are said to have found propane tanks, torches and possible dynamite sticks.

In DC police said several officers were injured outside the Fourth District Police Station Wednesday evening after projectiles were thrown at them.

Clips shared online appeared to the moment some cops were hit by fireworks thrown at them by rioters. A Sunglass Hut in Georgetown looks to have had its windows smashed.

Philadelphia police fatally shot Walter Wallace Jr., 27, on Monday after he ignored orders to drop a knife. Wallace’s parents said the officers knew their son was in a mental health crisis because they had been to the family’s house three times that day.

In the days since, more than 90 people have been arrested and about 50 police officers injured in clashes with protesters and vandals, including the 1,000 or so who suddenly swarmed a shopping center Tuesday night, breaking windows and stealing merchandise. That scene erupted on the other side of the city, miles from Wallace’ neighborhood, where protests were underway.


City officials announced Wednesday they would enact a curfew in the city from 9 p.m. until 6 a.m., as business owners cleaned up damage from the melee and boarded up windows.

Mayor Jim Kenney told reporters the Pennsylvania National Guard would also be deployed to help protect property and assist the police. The first troops were expected Friday and Saturday.

The unrest started Monday evening, shortly after Wallace, 27, was killed, and set off protests elsewhere, including in Washington, D.C., the Brooklyn borough of New York City and Portland, where demonstrators held their hands in the shape of a ‘W’ in his honor.

In New York City 32 people were arrested Tuesday evening as violence spilled over into more US cities.