Melanie Zanona, The Hill, January 30, 2017
Ford Motor Co. said Monday that it does not support President Trump’s 90-day ban on travelers from seven Muslim-majority nations, arguing that the policy goes against a “core value” of the company.
The comments come nearly a week after Ford and other U.S. automakers had what was described as a positive meeting with Trump, who had bashed the companies on the campaign trail and on Twitter for their investments in Mexico.
“Respect for all people is a core value of Ford Motor Company, and we are proud of the rich diversity of our company here at home and around the world,” said Executive Chairman Bill Ford and President and CEO Mark Fields in a joint statement. “That is why we do not support this policy or any other that goes against our values as a company.”
Fields, who visited the White House twice last week, was named to the administration’s manufacturing jobs initiative.
The automaker added that it is not aware of any Ford employees directly affected by the new policy but said, “We will continue working to ensure the well-being of our employees by promoting the values of respect and inclusion in the workplace.”
The move also spurred critical responses across the technology and transportation industries, including from companies such as Google, Apple, Uber and Lyft.
Lyft announced it would donate $1 million to the American Civil Liberties Union in response to the immigration ban.