Teen Who Beat Disabled 62-Year-Old to Death in Sick ‘Knock ‘Em out’ Video He Posted on Facebook Is Jailed for 30 Years

Sophie Jane Evans, Daily Mail (London), September 13, 2013

A 19-year-old man has been sentenced to 30 years in prison for his role in the beating to death of a disabled Chicago man.

The brutal crime was captured on video and then posted on Facebook.

Earlier this year, Anthony Malcolm was found guilty of first-degree murder and robbery for his part in the sickening attack that killed 62-year-old Delfino Mora.

Speaking in court yesterday, he told the victim’s family: ‘I’m sorry, I can feel your pain.’

According to prosecutors, Malcolm was with two other teenagers last July when they decided to play a game called ‘Pick ’em out, knock ’em out’.

The three targeted Mr Mora, a father of 12 and grandfather of 23, in an alley in the West Rogers Park neighbourhood and ordered him to empty his pockets.

Malcolm’s friend Malik Jones allegedly then punched him in the jaw, causing him to fall to the ground and hit his head on the concrete.

The group then proceeded to rifle through the victim’s wallet as he lay dying in the alley.

Mr Mora was found by a passer-by with blood on his face and vomit next to his head about three hours later and was taken to hospital.

However, he died the next day as a result of blunt head trauma.

Malcolm used a mobile phone to record the fatal assault on Mr Mora, who didn’t have full use of his right arm after a workplace accident 15 years ago.

He then posted the sickening footage on to Facebook, according to NBC Chicago.

‘He left him in the alley like a piece of garbage,’ said prosecutor James Murphy at an earlier hearing. ‘To them it was funny, they laughed.’

Malcolm’s lawyers had initially claimed that all he did was hold a cellphone camera as the deadly attack unfolded.

However, Judge Joseph Claps ruled in July that the teen was ‘not only present, but also accountable’ for the death of Mr Mora.

‘It’s a sad travesty that Mr. Delfino Mora died because of the actions of people who apparently think that what they were doing was a game,’ he said. ‘Well, it wasn’t a game for Mr. Mora and his family.’

The one-minute recording of the attack, which was posted on to Facebook, was the most damning piece of evidence presented during the case.

Laughter from the three teens charged in the brutal death could be heard on the tape.

Mr Mora, who had been collecting soda cans when he was approached by the youths, had emigrated to Chicago in the 1980s from Michoacán, Mexico.

He supplemented his disability payments by collecting the waste cans early in the morning and was attacked just blocks from his home.

He was a father to six girls and six boys, who range in age from 17 to 40, and was also a grandfather.

Speaking in July after Malcolm’s guilty verdict, Mr Mora’s son Emanuel said: ‘We feel a little bit of peace in our hearts. The judge made the right decision. But on the other side, we still feel a little bit down because with this decision, it’s not going to bring our father back.’

Sentencing Malcolm yesterday, Judge Claps said he was an accessory not only for videotaping the death, but also for not reporting the attack to the authorities.

‘There must be a deterrent for people who choose violence for some past-time,’ he said.

Malcolm was sentenced to 22 years for murder and eight years for robbery.

His family have spoken out against the sentence, claiming Malcolm should not be sent to prison for holding a cellphone.

‘He was a studious child. Respectful,’ his aunt and retired Chicago Public Schools teacher Rosemary Rodriguez told NBC Chicago. ‘I never saw anything else but that.’

The remaining two defendants are awaiting trial.


Share This

We welcome comments that add information or perspective, and we encourage polite debate. If you log in with a social media account, your comment should appear immediately. If you prefer to remain anonymous, you may comment as a guest, using a name and an e-mail address of convenience. Your comment will be moderated.