Unamusement Park, July 6, 2012
The plan is simple: log in to Twitter and search for interesting combinations of words, like “fireworks, black” and “someone got shot at the fireworks.” I know, I know: super racis’. Indulge me.
Independence Day Violence in Albany, According to the Mainstream Media
From WALB.com: “Fights disrupt Albany fireworks” (July 4, 2012).
Albany Police suspended the July 4th fireworks show Wednesday night because they say a series of fights put families, who were there to enjoy a night of fun, in danger.
Chief John Proctor said a number of fights broke out in the Turtle Park area where many people gathered to watch the fireworks show. He said it became a safety and crowd control issue, and police officers made the decision to suspend the fireworks.
About 10:45 p.m., the Chief told WALB News Ten the area had been cleared. A few minutes later, Capt. Reginald Brown told us the fireworks show did resume, although few people were there to see the end of it.
The Chief said APD had 85 officers assigned to the event. He said there was no gunfire and there’s no indication that gangs were involved. Proctor blamed the problems on juveniles who were downtown without any adult supervision.
Before all that trouble, vendors and families gathered for what they expected to be a fun and safe celebration of our nation’s independence.
Patricia Porter went downtown with her family. She said, “I’m glad that they’re doing something for us, having something for us to come out here and enjoy because it’s not often as a city group that we get to enjoy anything.”
Rodney Walker is a vendor who was selling chicken wings. He said, “Oh, having an event like this for the city is great because it brings good people and good food all together in the same place at the same time.”
Unfortunately, the good event they expected was marred by violence started by troublemakers.
Chief Proctor said no one was seriously injured in any of the fights. Capt. Brown told us officers did make some arrests, but he was not sure how many.
Let’s take a look at some of those families who came to enjoy a night of fun and had it ruined by some troublemaking juveniles.
What a nice family.
Another nice family!
The world needs more of these.
A day of fun.
Footage of the troublemakers is curiously absent, though. I wonder why…
Independence Day Violence in Albany, According to Black People
Let’s search Twitter for “turtle park, black” and other racis’ combinations of words and see what we come up with. As usual, I’ll sort it by date and provide the name of the Twitter user, his or her race, the time, the number of re-Tweets, if any, and the Tweet itself.
- Crown_RealistYo, black, 1:32 pm, re-Tweeted 3 times: iTs Goinq Be HOT AF [as fuck] Tommrow At Turtle Park *shrugs* I Ain’t Tryna [trying to] Turn Black .
- WeFuck_WeSmoke, black, 10:10 pm, re-Tweeted 4 times: Heard Niggahs Was Fighting At Turtle Park , Black People Don’t Never Get Alone [along]
- _iTraniere, black, 10:33 pm, re-Tweeted once: But a nigga couldnt even get into turtle park good before they started fightin && shit . I ran right into it
- TayKoBangz, black, 10:38 pm: 90% of the black ppl [people] at turtle park was kids 18 & under
- Young_Dwill5, black, 11:53 pm: I know WALB wanted 2 say them black people out there at turtle park dnt know how 2 act…(Ion [I don’t] blame em we dnt [don’t])
- TrillaryCLINT0N, black, 12:25 am, re-Tweeted 8 times: Turtle park was “thick” lol but black folks just get outta line sometimes or maybe that’s just Albany *sigh*
- Adorar_Me, black, 6:56 am: Thank god that I was not at turtle park last night
- DbabyDestinee, black, 7:39 am, re-Tweeted once: .dont think i want to go to turtle park nxt year..they always fighting..we black..lets get alone [along] lol
- iGoBy_Phillip, black, 12:17 pm, re-Tweeted once: Albany herald took this pic of us at turtle park yesterday , lol http://t.co/pLUtklzr
“Albany herald took this pic of us at turtle park yesterday , lol”
- KissMy_Beautyyy, black, 2:24 pm: At turtle Park http://t.co/cxZWHn4d
“At turtle Park”
- jerneriamilledg, black, 6:18 pm: NOW YOU’LL [y’all] BLACK FOLKS GOT THESE WHITE PEOPLE SCRARED [scared] TO COME BACK TO TO TURTLE PARK,LMFAO
- williambutler6, black, 1:44 am: Well black ppl [people] we made the news again fighting n shit @ turtle park …#smh [shaking my head]
Recall that “shaking my head” (“SMH”) is how black people traditionally express their displeasure at other black people on Twitter.
So What Did We Learn This Time?
Once again, it is obvious that black people were responsible for the entire “series of fights” that “put families, who were there to enjoy a night of fun, in danger,” necessitating the fireworks show’s suspension by the police who, with only 85 officers, were unable to handle the “safety and crowd control issue.” Once again, it is equally obvious that the mainstream media will not report this little detail, and you’re super racis’ for noticing it.
Furthermore, since — as we all know — black people can’t ever be “racist” (whatever that means), we are once again able to update our Officially Not Racist list. None of this can possibly be “racist,” because a black person said it.
- Black people don’t never get along.
- Black people don’t know how to act.
- Black folks just get out of line sometimes.
- Avoid Turtle Park in the future: black people are always fighting.
- Black folks have now, finally, got white people scared to come to Turtle Park.