Joseph Neff, News & Observer (Raleigh), Jan. 11, 2007
In her latest statement to investigators, the accuser in the Duke lacrosse rape case changed her account again about when the alleged gang rape occurred, who attacked her and how.
Defense attorneys filed the statement in court today, arguing that it was more evidence that the woman is an unreliable witness.
The statement layers new and contradictory accounts over the woman’s previous statements:
* In her latest statement she said the attack ended at midnight.
In previous accounts, the woman said the gang-rape ended shortly before she left in the car driven by Kim Roberts, the second dancer. Roberts called 911 as she was driving away at 12:53 a.m., according to police records. This new account leaves 50 minutes unaccounted between the end of the rape and the departure from the party.
The new statement runs contrary to time stamped photos of the party, which show the two women dancing between 12:00 and 12:04 a.m. in the living room of the house at 610 N. Buchanan Blvd.
* In the latest statement, the woman says she arrived at the party at 11:10 p.m. on March 13 and that the rape began at 11:40 p.m. Her cell phone records show that she was on phone with her father and others up to one minute before the rape allegedly started.
* The woman now said her alleged assailants used multiple names.
In previous accounts, she said she was assaulted by three men named “Adam”, “Brett” and “Matt.” She has given conflicting descriptions of the three men and contradictory accounts of how they assaulted her.
In the Dec. 21 interview, she said for the first time that the players used multiple names. “Dan, Adam and Brett was used by Dave Evans,” Wilson wrote. “Adam and Matt was also used by Reade Seligmann. She does not remember a name being used for Collin Finnerty or if he was called by a name.”
* The accuser has changed her description of Evans. On April 4, she viewed a photograph of Evans and said it looked like one of her assailants, except that the assailant had a moustache. In the Dec. 21 statement, the woman said the assailant had a five o’clock shadow, not a moustache. Evans has a visible five o’clock shadow in the photograph.
* In her recent statement, the woman said that Evans stood in front of her and made her perform sex on him. In past statements, she said that Seligmann did this.
Nifong could not be reached immediately for comment today.