Judge Bans Girl, 14, from Every School in the County After She Films Herself Beating Another Student
Suzannah Hills, Daily Mail (London), May 13, 2013
A judge has banned a 14-year-old girl from attending every school in an entire county after she filmed herself beating up a fellow pupil.
The teenager, who has not been named, left her victim with a fractured skull after the brutal assault in Jacksonville, Florida.
The Oceanway Middle School pupil was charged with aggravated assault and given a blanket school ban by Florida circuit Judge Henry Davis.
Judge Davis ruled: ‘This child is a threat to all of the children at any school. The injunction is a permanent injunction barring this child from returning to any public school in Duval County.’
Her victim Aria Jewett, also 14, has bravely spoken out about the attack.
She told CBS News: ‘I tried to walk away. I didn’t even know it was coming.’
Shocking mobile phone footage of the assault shows Ms Jewett being beaten by the schoolgirl who slams her head into a stone wall while around 30 other teenagers watch.
Ms Jewett continued: ‘She had everyone else videotape it. She had the girl bring me over there. She probably had this planned.’
The schoolgirl revealed how her attacker had a history of videotaped assaults and she had seen five of them, some taking place with school, before she became the next victim.
Ms Jewett added: ‘She still never got expelled or anything.’
But the school district’s superintendent, Nikolai Vitti, said the judge went too far by banning the teenager from all schools in the county and that she shouldn’t be made a ‘scapegoat’.
A lawyer for Jewett’s attacker told CBS News in a statement: ‘Our goal is to return our client, a child, to a public school so she can complete her studies for this academic year.;
A Florida appeals court last week suspended the order banning her from all Duval County schools.