Two Workers Are Assaulted by Youths Downtown

Peter Hermann, Baltimore Sun, May 31, 2012

A group of youths attacked a federal office worker and a BGE employee Thursday morning in downtown Baltimore in random assaults that police said were related.

The workers suffered injuries described as minor in the latest in a series of violent incidents in the heart of the city.

Police are also investigating a fight that occurred at Charles and Lombard streets about 8:30 a.m. Wednesday involving youths who may have been wearing school uniforms. Police said they believe that incident is unrelated to Thursday’s attacks, and they are looking at video surveillance to identify those involved.

Eight days ago, a large group of youths stole candy and attacked the owner of 7-Eleven on Light Street during a Slurpee giveaway promotion. {snip}

The string of incidents has prompted the police commander in charge of the Central District, Maj. Dennis Smith, to order more downtown foot patrols during the morning and evening rush hours, and when schools begin and let out for the day.


“We want to partner with the school system,” said city police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi. “We want to quickly identify those involved, and it’s easier to do that with the school police.”

Guglielmi said the first attack Thursday occurred about 5 a.m. as the victim was walking into the Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. headquarters in the 100 block of W. Fayette St. near Charles Street. Police said the youths approached the man from behind and one hit him on the right side of the head. He fled into the building as the youths ran away, and declined medical attention.

About two hours later, police said, a 51-year-old man was attacked outside the Fallon Federal Building at Hopkins Plaza, on South Charles Street between West Baltimore and West Lombard streets. Guglielmi said the victim was “punched in the head and kicked while on the ground,” but was not hurt seriously enough to require medical attention.

Police said neither victim was robbed and that video surveillance footage confirms that the same group of youths attacked both men. They were described only as four males and one female wearing white T-shirts and dark colored shorts. {snip}


The repeated incidents have raised questions about security and safety as the summer season approaches. The city is gearing up for several large-scale tourist events, including June’s 2012 Star-Spangled Sailabration commemorating the bicentennial of the War of 1812, as well as Fourth of July fireworks, Artscape and the Grand Prix road race.

On Thursday, Del. Patrick McDonough continued his pressure on city officials, proposing what he calls a “Solutions Summit” and the creation of a Maryland Youth Advocacy Fund to raise money through private contributions to fund youth initiatives.

McDonough, a Republican representing Baltimore and Harford counties, had earlier complained about “black youth mobs” terrorizing the city and had asked the governor to declare the Inner Harbor a “no-travel zone.”

The delegate challenged Rawlings-Blake to a debate, characterizing her as a “name caller and a dodger” and accusing her of failing to face the city’s crime problem.



Share This

We welcome comments that add information or perspective, and we encourage polite debate. If you log in with a social media account, your comment should appear immediately. If you prefer to remain anonymous, you may comment as a guest, using a name and an e-mail address of convenience. Your comment will be moderated.