The Local, December 7, 2011
Seven men have so far been arrested on suspicion of gang raping a 29-year-old mother of two in Eksjö, in the south of Sweden.
“We have a good body of evidence,” said Christer Edlund of the local police to the daily Aftonbladet.
According to the paper, the police suspect that as many as eleven men may have been involved in the attack. They are not ruling out that there may be more arrests in the near future.
The alleged assault occurred between Friday and Saturday at a party that the woman and the men had been attending.
According to the police, the woman was overpowered by a group of men who took turns brutally raping her.
Parts of the assault may also have been filmed, a police source told Aftonbladet.
The men are all in their twenties apart from one who is 33.
Following the alleged attack, the woman called the police only after waiting for the suspected perpetrators to fall alseep or leave the apartment.
The flat where the suspected rape took place is owned by the Migration Board (Migrationsverket) and inhabited by asylum seekers.
It is not known how extensive the woman’s injuries are.
“Naturally she is not doing so well, but she doesn’t appear to have any life-threatening injuries,” said Edlund to news site Nyheter24.
“She is safe now,” prosecutor Klas Lorefors said to Aftonbladet after the men had been arrested.
Police have confiscated a number of things from the apartment and tests, including DNA test, are being analyzed at the Swedish National Laboratory of Forensic Science.