Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather Finally Reach Agreement for Blockbuster Billion Dollar Las Vegas Mega Fight
Barry Moran and Adam Higgins, The Sun, February 14, 2017
After months of intense negotiations, representatives for The Notorious have thrashed out a money-spinning contract with ‘Money’ Mayweather’s camp in recent days.
Although the bombshell agreement is yet to be formally signed because of a third party hold-up, it means the 28-year-old Crumlin brawler will go toe-to-toe with the undefeated 39-year-old boxing great.
The Sun exclusively revealed last year that McGregor and Mayweather were in talks over a sensational boxing match.
And we can now reveal that the MMA sensation pulled out of a scheduled meet-and-greet event in Dublin this week to go to the States to make an anti-bullying video for schoolchildren.
McGregor will shoot the video as part of a deal struck with the Nevada Sport Commission after he was deemed to have thrown a bottle of water at Nate Diaz.
He will also use the opportunity to finalise details with his representatives in Las Vegas as the blockbuster Mayweather fight inches closer.
In a previous live interview event in Manchester, the Notorious revealed that he would be jetting out to Vegas to settle his score with the Nevada Sport Commission.
He said: “There’s a lot of business to do out in Las Vegas. They tried to fine me $150,000 for throwing a bottle of water. It was a can but whatever. We’ll call it a bottle of water and say no more about it…
“Ah no look I’m gonna f*** this whole sh*t up again. I love the Vegas commission. We’ve come to an understanding. I’m gonna fly out there and fix it. I’m gonna get my Las Vegas boxing commission and then we’ll see where the f*** Floyd’s at?!”
The undisputed UFC lightweight champion was due to appear at the €100-a-head bash on Friday night, but withdrew today due to “an unavoidable schedule change”.
A source close to the Straight Blast Gym star told the Irish Sun: “Conor McGregor and Floyd Mayweather have agreed a deal to fight and have both settled on their respective fees.
“The contract hasn’t officially been signed yet because of a third party hold-up but all the details have all been agreed on.
“The fight could even be announced within two weeks.”
A spokesman for the hotel said in a statement: “The Red Cow Moran Hotel in association with Industry Entertainment regret to announce that the evening event with Conor McGregor scheduled for Friday 17th February has been cancelled due to circumstances beyond their control.
“An unavoidable schedule change will see Conor McGregor in Las Vegas at the time of the event.
“All ticket holders who purchased tickets via TicketStop.ie will be automatically refunded, if you purchased a ticket or booked a table for the event through the Red Cow Moran Hotel please contact the team on 01 4593650 or via email firstname.lastname@example.org who will manage your refund directly.”
Respresentatives for the Notorious could not be reached for comment when contacted by the Irish Sun today.
McGregor has made no secret of his desire to take on Mayweather – whose win record stands at 49/49 – and has vowed to hand Floyd his first ever KO.
He recently boasted: “That fight is more than just being explored. That fight has been in the works a while now.
“Look, there’s a lot of steps to get through to get the fight going, but it’s the fight to make.
“It’s the fight the people want. It’s the fight I want. I know I’m confident going in there.
“I’ve got the reach. I’ve got youth. I’ve got the confidence. I’ve got the unpredictable style. You can’t prepare for a style like me. A guy said to me, why conquer one world when you can conquer two? So I’m going to go conquer two worlds.”
But speaking just last week, UFC boss Dana White insisted any contest involving under contract Conor was “not possible” and promised it would “never happen”.
Dana said: “It will never happen; that’s not even possible. He’s under contract with us. You have a contract for a reason.
“Let me tell you what, there are a lot of contracts out there, no matter what business you are in – UFC or whatever – and it’s pretty tough to get out of a contract.
“And if that’s what Conor wants to do (fight Mayweather), he’s got four fights left. He’s got four fights left with the UFC. Fight your four fights and, you know, go out and do what you want to do.”
Meanwhile, McGregor’s coach has backed everything up by saying an announcement is ‘imminent’.
John Kavanagh tweeted: “Gunni and Queally get a fight. Orly wakes me the right way. Other big announcements imminent. Best. Valentines. Ever.”