Posted on April 15, 2013

12 Dead, Nearly 50 Injured After 2 Explosions Rock Boston Marathon, Suspect Identified and Being Guarded in Hospital

NY Post, April 15, 2013

Two explosions shattered the euphoria of the Boston Marathon finish line on Monday, sending authorities out on the course to carry off the injured while the stragglers in the 26.2-mile trek from Hopkinton were rerouted away from the smoking site of the blasts.

A federal law-enforcement source confirmed to The Post there are at least 12 dead and nearly 50 injured. Fox News reported that Massachusetts General Hospital was treating 10 people with amputated limbs and all operating rooms were on hold.

Authorities have a identified a suspect, a Saudi national, who is currently being guarded in a Boston hospital with shrapnel wounds.

Law-enforcement sources said at least the first explosion occurred in the lobby of a nearby hotel.

“There were two bombs that exploded near the finish line in today’s Boston Marathon,” The Boston Marathon’s official Facebook page read. {snip}

According to reports, authorities in Boston found two more explosive devices that had not gone off and police were dismantling them. {snip}

Police confirmed a third explosion at JFK Library in Boston. Boston fire officials confirmed during a press conference that the third explosion was linked to the ones that occurred at the Marathon.


About three hours after the winners crossed the line, there was a loud explosion on the north side of Boylston Street, just before the photo bridge that marks the finish line. Another thunderous explosion could be heard a few seconds later.


About half of the runners–virtually all the elite competitors–had completed the course when the twin explosions went off.

It created a mad rush of bystanders, who frantically dashed away from the scene. Moments later, first reporters ran to the wounded, as their blood stained the Boston pavement.

Smoke filled the previously crystal-clear sky and the sounds of sirens rang for blocks.