Since late last night (July 4), another unremarkable story with no race angle at all has been floating around the Internet. The Baltimore Sun has one of the earliest reports: “Man stabbed to death, child shot in Inner Harbor after fireworks.”
Violence erupted in separate locations of the Inner Harbor Monday night despite a heavy police presence for the holiday, with a child shot in the leg and a man fatally stabbed shortly after the fireworks ended.
Earlier in the day, a man in his 20s was shot twice inside a parking garage around 2 a.m. after a long-running feud was reignited. He survived the attack.
This violence was “a significant disappointment” for Baltimore police, whose “elaborate July Fourth safety plan… involved several hundred state and city officers patrolling Baltimore’s streets, monitoring surveillance cameras and tracking one another via GPS signals.” In fact, Police Commissioner Frederick H. Bealefeld III was so confident in his planning,
[he] held a news conference Monday evening to quell fears that the downtown area was dangerous, telling reporters that arrests were imminent in the morning incident and that he believed there were “sufficient resources” in place to secure the Inner Harbor for the Independence Day celebration.
The story does not mention race, so for example, the stabbing victim was an “adult male,” who got into a confrontation with a “group of individuals”; two more “individuals” fell into the water and were rescued by the BPD Marine Unit; “several juveniles” were arrested for carrying knives; and police enforced the curfew by clearing “young people” off the streets after 11 pm.
Tonight (July 5), WRBL News reports that “a photo of the suspect in the killing was taken by cellphone” and “city officials were hoping to quickly capture the suspect,” yet the photo is neither shown nor described. In particular, the story does not mention race. The Baltimore Business Journal is similarly uninformative.
The Baltimore Sun’s follow-up includes a video in which Mayor Stephanie Rawlings-Blake (who is black) condemns “these people who engage in these terrible and senseless acts of violence” as cowards whose behavior will not be tolerated. Neither the story nor the video mentions race. However, the video does briefly display a photo of the suspect. WBAL has more photos (below), plus a video of a large number of African Americans “celebrating” the Fourth of July in a not-unthreatening manner.
One witness reports a “moving mob” (or something kind of like it).
Jean Holzhueter, who lives within walking distance of the Inner Harbor, has attended the New Year’s and Independence Day fireworks for many years, but she said that Monday was the first time she felt unsafe during the festivities. … “It was kind of like a moving mob,” Holzhueter said. Although police responded quickly, she said, Holzhueter was afraid she would be pushed into the water by the expanding crowd. “It was just scary how fast it grew.”
Fortunately, a man who gets paid to make Baltimore look good sets us straight.
Added Bill Gilmore of the Baltimore Office of Promotion and the Arts: “You need to march along. You can’t let an incident like this deter your Independence Day celebrations. You can’t let the actions of a few people affect the good work and entertainment of the public at large.”
Reporting is sooooo much work
Let us apply our usual racist trick: search Twitter for “harbor, black” and other interesting combinations of words (e.g. “somebody got stabbed at the harbor”) to see what the mainstream media could not be bothered to report.
Here are just a few of the hundreds of relevant tweets I found from the night in question, not including re-tweets. I’ll keep it simple: name, race, time, and tweet. Notice how early people (well, black people) detected trouble (from black people). For comparison, the stabbing occurred shortly after 10 pm (ABC2) and first aired on the 11 pm news.
- _ViolaLoves, black, 8:57 pm: “At the harbor too many black ppl lls”
- dbeats11, black, 9:24 pm: “Never again will I bring my black ass down the harbor on 4th of july”
- TeamWonnyBitch, black, 10:02 pm: “Dannng! Black ppl never cant do/get nothing right… On my way up the Harbor turning all the way around because they shut it down. *Shrugs”
- Marleyy_, black, 10:03 pm: “Shit got wild down da harbor black people is wild cant have alotta dem inda same place“
- AyyLera, black, 10:06 pm: “The harbor is a coon fest…what is with thisblack mob stuff its crazy.”
- OozieBangz, black, 10:10 pm: “Damn, Somebody Got Stabbed At The Harbor Already ?! Smh [Shaking my head] Black People <<<“
- Duh_Toy, black, 10:13 pm: “Somebody got stabbed at the innor harbor!#notsuprised“
- dozens of tweets (and retweets) almost identical to Duh_Toy’s, all by black people, such as TinyyTerror at 10:23 pm: “So somebody got stabbed at the harbor? Idk [I don’t know] why people acting so surprised.“
- x__JuicyShaa, black, 10:23 pm: “Wow someone got stabbed at the harbor , too many black ppl there at once .”
- _SunnyMonroee, black, 10:25 pm: “somebody got stabbed at the Harbor , we cant have NO type of fun nowadays without someone dying“
- bubblecheekz614, black, 10:26 pm: “Seen 6 fights so far at the harbor wtf is wrong with black people“
- Scuda3, black, 10:29 pm: “I hate black people dey dont never know how to get along ppl tryna have a good time at the harbor and you wanna jump and stab dem #smh”
- JetTrippyMane, black, 10:35 pm: “kill somebody got stabbed and shot at the Harbor tho….lol NIGGAS smh“
- LoveIsDeadXo, black, 10:40 pm: “That’s so fckn sad , ppl getting shot up & stabed at the harbor that’s the result of too many black ppl in a restricted area -______-“
- MallyRe, black, 10:57 pm: “You cant do SHIT with black people young…niggaz gettin stabbed at the harbor and shit”
- FreedomWars, black, 10:58 pm: “Somebody Got Stabbed At The Harbor -____- Black People ! Smh”
- Yeahh_ItsMia, black, 10:58 pm (right on time for the 11 o’clock news): “@_LoveeBuqq its on the newss . . And someotha people got shot and stabbed black people for you“
- Kyraa_Sasha (black), 10:59 pm: “See First The Zoo,Then The Carribean Festival,& Now The Ha
rbor. Why Y’all Black Kids Gotta Be So Ignorant! Smhh” (re-tweeted by 14 other black people, mostly women)
- LoveMee_HateMe, black, 11:01 pm : “Heard shit went down , down the Harbor . smfh Thats exaclty why iStayed my black ass here in BelAir . Shiiddd”
- YouWitTheFace, black, 11:02 pm: “I’m LMAO At My TL Because Every Year Somebody Got Beat Up Or Stabbed Down The Harbor For Like 5 Years In A Row.”
- inked_skin_tone, black, 11:02 pm: “Smfh I knew a damn 4 year old shoot wtf #black people don’t know how to act“
- Weeenta, black, 11:04 pm: “Woah buddddy. There is black people everywhere at the harbor!”
- ForeverrSimone, black, 11:26 pm: “ah 4 yr old boy got shot & somebody was severly stabbed at the harbor ? this is fucking ridiculous ! i hateeee black people ,” (immediately re-tweeted by three other black women)
- NaeJackCity, black, 11:34 pm: “Yo its still hella niggas dwn the harbor !”
- PieVSTheWorld, black, 11:34 pm: “Somebody got stabbed n killed, someone else shot, and my SON was down there smh. Baltimore can’t have shit w/o niggers fuckin it up“
- therealMikeyLo, black, 11:36 pm: “niggas got stabbed to death and a 4 year old got shot and killed down da harbor ! #shitreal”
- meechie222, black, 11:37 pm: “@_Veeeeeee ch
eck fb [Facebook] aboutalll the “black ppl” saying yea I was holding my own down the harbor ..fightin and all dat stuff”
- IKeepAMistress, black, 12:14 am: “I see why white people think so low of blacks. Like seriously black people can’t just go to a nice place like the harbor and act right”
There are hundreds more like this from the same night, all saying basically the same thing:
- the Inner Harbor was full of black people last night
- the black people started fighting, one of them stabbed someone to death, and one of them shot a child
- point 2 is disappointing, but not surprising, given point 1
In a way, this is good news. Many ordinary black people — unlike their leaders and unlike most white people — are willing to say what we should all be thinking: black people, compared to white people, are innately violent and criminal, and you can’t put too many of them in the same place without someone getting killed. Harsh, I know, but this is the only theory that fits the data.
When the media won’t tell you the facts about black crime, go straight to the source: black people who are fed up with it themselves.