National Latino Congreso, January 29, 2010
*****MEDIA ADVISORY: ******
Latino Response to State of the Union
Wednesday, January 27, 2010
Loretta S. Akers–(915)355.3215
(El Paso, TX)–National Latino Congreso (NLC) will be holding a Media Breakfast during the NLC on Friday, January 29, 2010 at 10:00 AM in the Camino Real Braham Room.
During the event, members of the media will respond to the President’s State of Union Speech on issues of health care, jobs, mortgage foreclosures, climate change, census, immigration reform, Latin America, and the MiddleEast wars.
Subsequently NLC delegates will launch an advocacy agenda representing tens of millions of Latinos from across America.
This year’s “Congreso” serves as a Call to Action that will focus on developing strategies around enacting federal legislation on:
* Justice for immigrants;
* Climate change mitigation and adaptation;
* Economic stimulus to create jobs and save homes.
Other issues like the upcoming US Census, border violence, health care, drug policy reform, the Middle East wars, and U.S.-Latin America relations may also be heard.
The NLC comes at a crucial time as Latino unemployment approaches 20%, nearly 2 million Latinos have been foreclosed, and 12 million super-exploited undocumented immigrants–mostly Latinos- suffer in our midst without rights or justice.
WHEN:Friday, January 29, 2010, 10:00 AM
WHERE: Brahma Room, Camino Real Hotel
101 S. El Paso St.
El Paso, Texas 79901
The National Latino Congreso is convened by:
* Hispanic Federation (HF);
* League of United Latin American Citizens (LULAC);
* Mexican American Legal Defense and Educational Fund (MALDEF);
* Mexican American Political Association (MAPA);
* National Alliance of Latin American and Caribbean Communities
* National Day Labor Organization Network (NDLON);
* National Hispanic Environmental Council (NHEC);
* Southwest Voter Registration Education Project (SVREP);
* William C. Velasquez Institute (WCVI)