Jennifer Chambers, Detroit News, Dec. 30, 2006
Officials at Michigan’s three largest universities are spending the holiday weekend reviewing a federal appeals court ruling that ordered late Friday full compliance with state’s new affirmative action ban, also known as Proposal 2.
A federal appeals court ruled Friday night that three universities must immediately remove race and gender consideration from their admissions and financial aid decisions and fully comply with Proposal 2.
The 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruling effectively overturned the six-month delay a lower court judge granted last week to the University of Michigan, Michigan State University and Wayne State University.
Julie A. Peterson, spokesperson for the University of Michigan, said Saturday the university is reviewing the recent decision by the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that overturns a six-month delay on the ban given to U-M, Michigan State University and Wayne State University.
“We are not ready to announce our next step. We will do so soon,” Peterson said. “The University is closed over the holidays. We would not be admitting students over the weekend in any case. It’s important for people to remember that.”