Due to persistent anti-black bias, many Americans do not know enough about Martin Luther King. Try this quiz and test your knowledge.
1) Name the judge who has sealed King’s FBI surveillance file until the year 2027.
2) According to whose 1989 biography of King did he spend his last night on earth in an adulterous liaison?
3) According to whose 1989 biography of King did he spend his last morning on earth physically beating a woman?
4) Who was the U.S. Attorney General who ordered the FBI to wiretap King?
5) Who was the Assistant Director of the FBI who wrote a letter to Sen. John P. East (R-NC) describing King’s “orgiastic and adulterous escapades, some of which indicated that King could be bestial in his sexual abuse of women.”
6) Who called King a “hypocrite preacher”?
7) What U.S. newspaper reported that King had plagiarized his doctoral thesis at Boston University.
8) Whom did King plagiarize in more than 50 complete sentences in his doctoral thesis?
9) Who was the Chairman of the National Endowment for the Humanities who purposely suppressed knowledge of King’s plagiarism of his doctoral thesis?
10) What was Martin Luther King’s real name?
11) In his first public sermon at the Ebenezer Baptist Church in 1947 whom did King plagiarize?
12) Name the man who served as King’s personal secretary from 1955 to 1960, had joined the Young Communists League at New York City College in 1936, went to prison for draft evasion in 1944, and in 1953 was sentenced to 60 days in jail in California “lewd vagrancy and homosexual perversion.”
13) Who said that King “privately described himself as a Marxist.”
14) Who edited King’s book Stride Toward Freedom?
15) Who made the following speech?
That’s exactly what we mean—
from every mountain side,
let freedom ring.
Not only from the Green Mountains
and White Mountains of Vermont
and New Hampshire;
not only from the Catskills
of New York;
but from the Ozarks
from Stone Mountain
from the Blue Ridge Mountains
let it ring not only for the minorities of the United States,
but for the disinherited of all the earth—may the Republican party, under God,
from every mountainside,
LET FREEDOM RING!
1) The Honorable John Lewis Smith, Jr.
2) Reverend Ralph Abernathy. And the Walls Came Tumbling Down
3) Reverend Ralph Abernathy. And the Walls Came Tumbling Down
4) Robert F. Kennedy. See David Garrow’s biography of King, Bearing the Cross
5) Charles D. Brennan
6) President Lyndon B. Johnson
7) The Wall Street Journal. In 1991, the Journal of American History reported that “plagiarism was a general pattern evident in nearly all of his academic writings.”
8) Dr. Jack Boozer
9) Lynne Cheney, wife of former Vice President Richard Cheney
10) Michael King, Jr. In 1935 his father, Michael King, declared to his congregation that he would henceforth be known as Martin Luther King and that his son would be known as Martin Luther King, Jr.
11) Harry Emerson Fosdick
12) Bayard Rustin
13) His biographer, David J. Garrow
14) Stanley Levison, a communist
15) Archibald Carey, Jr., at the 1952 Republican National Convention. Carey and King knew each other.
0 questions correct means you are a model citizen.
1-3 questions correct means you could be dangerous.
4-6 questions correct means you are unemployable.
7-10 questions correct means you are a hater.
11 or more questions correct means you are a potential terrorist. Turn yourself in now for re-education and your life may be spared.